Thursday, September 6, 2012

For the love of new work


I was once asked in an interview what new work meant to me and I blurted out "terrifying adventure."

I also compared it to starting to date someone which is just...such a poor excuse for a metaphor.  I mean, that could be applicable if you were dating a really interesting monster who redrafted everything they said and was charming and alarming and totally off on their cues.  And lost...in a good way.

But terrifying adventure...

Theater should be a terrifying adventure, all theater worth making that is.  It's all about exposing and offering and you have to step out on a limb.  I often use the term "go broke or go home" with my students but I think that is what theater should be.  It is big in heart, loaded with guts, and new work is even more intense cause it is taking a jump without knowing where you will land.  

Jumping on the left (aka acting in a new work) in foolsFURY's "Port Out Starboard Home"

And this month is jammed pack with so much jumping.

It is the eve of the first preview for foolsFURY's world premiere of Port Out Starboard Home and while I am practicing dances and reviewing my script, I am waiting to Skype a meeting with the director of Don't Weep for Me Willow Tree, my new one act set to perform in NYC as part of Communal Spaces at the end of the month.

There is just so much new work, so much biting of the legs of your costars and writing into the wee hours of the night...ah the terror.  I need more coffee.

And speaking of biting legs, if you are in the Bay Area, don't miss POSH at ZSpace!  The show has already been getting some nice press  (here and here and here ).  And for you NYC theater people, you can see it at LaMama in November.

Now excuse me, I have a meeting and then must practice some tap dancing.



No comments: