Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A new play is brewing

I tried explaining to my grandmother this past Mother's Day the storyline for my play Spark.  Her first reaction was, "Sex?  How many other grandmother's can you talk about sex with.  Tell me more."  Her second reaction was, "That story was all in your brain?  How did you do that?"

I could say the usual defenses: "I got an idea,"  "I had an obsession," "What can I say, I'm amazing," or "The voices just won't stop talking."

But really it is a combination of things, usually a mix of big questions, news, music, and images.


So here is a look at what is cooking in Playwriting Land.  These things are combining powers in a Captain Planet kind of way to inspire my new work still in baby stages of development.


1.  The big question:  After two years of living in NYC, what has all the hustle, bustle, excitement, and sacrifice made of me?

2.  To go along with that question, this image

3.  The sudden and shocking realization that I am old enough now to really really really understand what Don Quixote is about.



4. "You can envision these state changes as a fast period of adjustment where we get pushed through the eye of the needle" and other scary quotes from this article where scientists warn Earth is headed for...well read it.  I don't want to bum you out.

5.  The street signs visible from the coffee shop I write in, inconveniently located under the 7 train.

6.  And this song:





I would like to point out that my friend, after seeing the before mentioned Spark, challenged me to write a farce this time around. Only time will tell...but this could be a farce...maybe??   If not, I extend my apologies ahead of time.

No comments: