Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 2: Chicago to Sioux Falls

Sioux Falls Fairground


Miles traveled: 598 miles
Time spent driving: 9 hours
States passed:  Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota
Tolls paid: Not as many as yesterday..but still too many
Tanks of gas: 2
Traffic violations: 1 (I was behind the wheel, details to follow)





Today we...
  • Both of us expressed an interest in finding a dairy farm in Wisconsin so we could milk a cow.  No farm was found.
  • We ate at a diner called the Hearty Platter.  My pancake combo meal was $4.99.
  • I freaked at the random visual/audio mashup created as we pulled out of a Minnesota gas station and "Gangsta's Paradise" starting playing on the radio.  
  • I got pulled over.  Yes, details to follow.  Yes, it ends up being a good story, not funny as my "Remember that one time in Utah I cussed at a cop and blamed a romance novel for my speeding and still got off with a warning" story from my 08 road trip but this story should be bizarrely entertaining.
  • We spent 4th of July at Sioux Falls' fairgrounds listening to the town's municipal band, watching a circus act and fireworks.  I wanted a snow cone but was not able to get a snow cone
  • While the fireworks were short, they were right in our faces.  Like, right in our faces.  It has been decided this is the closest we have ever been to fireworks.
  • I still want a snow cone.  Words cannot express how much I want a snow cone.

Yes, we were one of the first ones there

It's a bench

IN OUR FACES

2 comments:

Lara said...

Why no sno cone?

Angela said...

Cause it was too hard to get out of the stands. I still want a snow cone. I am so sad. Still. Tears. Flowing.