Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 3: South Dakota's Most Wanted (by Michael)

In Deadwood, South Dakota
...how appropriate 

Let me just start by saying that I did not expect to spend my vacation in a South Dakota Highway Patrol car.  Let me further clarify that I never expected to be in a cop car, period.

While driving down I-90, I was driving only a couple of miles above the speed limit, probably 77 or 78 MPH, as I didn't want to repeat Angela's experience from the day before.  However, the speed limit lowered from 75 to 65 MPH and I neglected to observe the change, but continued to drive with the speed of surrounding vehicles.  Suddenly, flashing lights caught my eye in the rearview mirror and I pulled over to the side of the interstate where we were approached by Officer Badger (names may have been changed to protect he innocent).

The cop truly knew how to use his scare tactics. (Angela remembers him as being "nice," I respectively disagree.)  In his most stern voice, he requested that I step out of the vehicle.  The law-abider that I am, I quickly obliged with the officer's request, expecting that he would perform a sobriety test.  Upon exiting the vehicle, he directed me to get into the patrol car.  At this point, I was truly scared.  Shaking.  I fully expected to get arrested for speeding...and I wasn't even driving that fast.  I stepped into his vehicle where I was berated by a series of questions, such as "Where are you going?" and "Do you know what the posted speed limit is?" and "Are there any drugs in the vehicle or large amounts of cash?"

Our interaction concluded when I asked if I was going to be able to attend traffic school and he responded by handing me my Courtesy Warning.  Less then five minutes after entering his patrol car with canine unit in the backseat, South Dakota's biggest outlaw got off scott free, save for the stern reprimanding and excessive barking of said canine.

I can officially add "detained in a cop car" to my Bucket List, where it will promptly be marked off.

No comments: