Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 2: My Minnesota pull over

What am I?
(out of focus in South Dakota)

It was afternoon somewhere in Minnesota.  Michael was sleeping and I was listening to the "Smurfs" episode of the "How Did This Get Made" podcast.  There was tire tread in the middle of the road, I changed lanes to avoid it and then I saw a cop behind me.  Lights going crazy.  Cue our first police interaction.

I have only been pulled over once before (which ended up in a warning) so of course I was extremely nervous.  I unbuckled my seatbelt to get my license out as the cop approached the car.  He was intense, super tan with a scar above his lip and imposing reflective aviators.  And he had a Minnesota accent.

Right away, he was upset I took off my seatbelt.  He said I was speeding (for the record, I was probably going 80 in a 65 so nothing too crazy.).  I thought a ticket was for sure but surprisingly he gave me a warning.  (Sigh of major relief.)

Later that day I looked at my Minnesota warning and found that on their form, next to weight (yes I lie) and height (I don't lie) there was a field for "ethnicity."  Of course, ethnicity is not listed on my California license...or any license that I know of.  So, racial identification options on Minnesota traffic tickets...interesting.  And how was I categorized?

Ethnicity "unknown."

Unknown!  What am I?  Who am I?  Unknown, that's who!  I mean, my name looks Spanish so that is confusing.  (Double l's baby!) And I have this dark mass of curly hair which makes me....Italian/Latina/Greek/Jewish/Middle Eastern?  I just...it is all so strange.  I entered the state of Minnesota as me and exited as this unknown ethnicity lady.  And I have to say, I am super stoked.  I am officially mysterious.  And now using cruise control everywhere I go to stay within the speed limit.

No comments: