Monday, July 30, 2012

Thinking about characters..strong lady characters

All my plays right now have one focus:  Bad Ass Women

Women who want more than love of men.  Women with objectives that go beyond their heart, that are about survival, that lead them to fight epic fights.  

I am in rehearsals right now for the upcoming production of Port Out Starboard Home by foolsFURY, and whenever I am acting it leads to me to think that much more about the plays I am writing.  It leads me to look at my characters and think, "Would I want to play you?  Would you be worth coming into rehearsal every day?"  I suppose I want my plays to feel like Thanksgiving meals-for both actors and designers.  I want mouths to water, guts to be filled, and satisfaction so deep that a vacation is needed.  

And I want those stories to be about bad ass women.  Cause that is what I want to play (even though I never want to act in my own plays) and right now it's what I want to see.  I want women who make me want to jump out of my seat, in either horror or glee, because they are fighting.

And speaking of bad ass women, I have just discovered Wanda Jackson.  Why it has taken me so long to discover her, I don't know.  It feels like a crime.  






No comments: