Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 8: A Few Words

So it is late, and the blues concert rocked tonight but we have 13 hours of driving ahead of us tomorrow and they have a gym here. I am ready to give a pint of blood just to look at an elliptical machine. So here (in a very unorganized gathering) are some thoughts...

You know, bikers don't have to wear helmets in other states. You have all these biker dudes with their hair running free up here on the roads and it makes you very nervous. Why would you do that?

Trucks are everywhere. If you thought the 5 from San Francisco to Los Angeles was bad, drive across the country, especially on the 80. Makes you realize how much we need truckers. A stupid observation but entire towns out here revolve around truckers and their needs. What a job that must be.

In Nebraska, I meet a woman when I was pumping gas who asked me if 3.50 a gallon was a good price. We started talking and I told her I was from SF, born in LA, moving to NY. Her head nearly exploded and she stared staring at me muttering, "Are you a City girl?" as if I was some extra terrestrial life form. She said she came from a city in Iowa that had 200 people. When I told her I did theater, I swear she was about to touch met to see if I was real.
You have no idea what it is like outside of your own bubble. Very different out here.

And I have not seen one McCain bumper sticker anywhere, not even in Arizona. Is he still running?

I want to know why Illinois has freeways with 55 mph speed limits. Please, someone let me know cause I am going postal.

I want to have theater audiences that act like blues audiences, ok? Especially that older woman who got up out of her chair and danced right by me cause she wanted to make eyes and the guitarist. Please, send them to see my plays.

I love Chicago. I am going to move here. You have been warned.

Tomorrow, keep us in your thoughts. 13 hours from Illinois to Virginia through West Virginia. If I see any more corn fields, my eyes might melt and then I will have to drive blind. And if I have any more jerky I might grow horns and I ate way too much kettle corn today so I hope I don't have bad sweet and salty dreams.

Farewell!

No comments: